I love January.
Photo by Country Living Sam Trombino.
Maybe not snow – I agree I like the idea of that more than the reality. But when I think of January, that’s the image that comes to mind, perhaps because this kind of winter scene evokes a sense of hope, renewal, and rebirth.
Leave it to a poet who expresses January beautifully…
And no, it’s not just a new record or a scheme. (Although I love those. More on those tomorrow.)
Today, these are some of the things that caught my eye in recent weeks, things that I loved enough to share with friends.
Michael C. Fox.
A few weeks ago, I read this interview – Michael J Fox is ready to handle whatever comes next – From the December 2021/any/January 2022 issue of Arp Magazine. (Also mentioned in this article today.)
The articles brought to my mind two of his books, two of my favorite books that I have read/listened to more than once – There is no time like the future And Lucky man. They are beautiful lessons in optimism and gratitude, finding the humor in every situation, and living in grace.
I’ll share some other books I’ve been reading next time. reading and listening. Do you like hearing aids? I’m not a Netflix or TV streamer, but I’ve been an Audible subscriber for nearly ten years. (And yes, I get my vote from the library too.)
to cook. You should have known I was going to share a recipe or two. This is one of my favorites Creamy Spicy Chicken From Tieghan Gerard of Half Bread Harvest. (There’s a new cookbook from HBH coming out in March – Half a baked harvest every day.
Photography by Gerrard’s crown from Half the Harvest.
This goes together really fast, and if you have leftovers, the soup is just as good as it was when you first made it. Soup – Yes, that’s definitely more soup than chili.
While a few of us may have indulged in too much during the holidays, who wouldn’t like to eat a good chocolate fudge? This is one of my favorites – Spiced dark chocolate cherry salt.
Photo from Garden & Gun magazine.
The recipe was first published in Virginia Willis Secrets of the Southern Table, reprinted in Garden and Arms magazine, November 2018.
Make it fun while sewing with us this year. And oh.. we’ll be busy this year! We’re excited about some quilting along our schedule for 2022.
January to October – Quilt Recipes from Jane Kingwell
- Start date – December 31, 2021
- We’re working our way through a book of Jane Kingwell Quilt Recipes. We’ll share tips for using templates, base papers, and choosing fabrics.
- Think of this as a Sit & Sew – bring the project you’re working on, share tips and ideas, and staple at your own pace. While the first quilt we focus on is Daylesford, we’ll make most of the other quilts in the book. We are definitely baking Jane’s recipes!
- Hosted by Jane Kingwell, Susan Alam, Moda and Arqi Nelson.
January to December – branching block of the week
- Depending on the 1930s cabin tree block, the blocks finish at 8″ or 6½”. Make 1 to 2 blocks each week, and you’ll have enough to make a generous throw quilt.
- Start date – Tuesday 4th January
- Tuesday, January 4 – Posted on the Inspiration Resource Center + MODA Resources with yardage suggestions, supplies and concepts.
- Friday, January 7th – Blog post instructions and tutorials on different ways to make block.
- Technique used: corners turning and sewing. Options include Concepts – Frixion Pencils (BFX72BLK), CLUCK CLUCK SEAM Diagonal Ribbon (CCS 192), and Antler Quilt Designs Simple Folded Corner Ruler (AQDR1 or AQDR2).
- Recommended pre-cut layered cakes!
- Hosted by Moda and Susan Ache – @yardgrl60 on Instagram.
The Combos Shown Above – Midnight Magic 2 / Sweet Home Holidays / Heavenly / Newport / Your sincere friend.
January – February – Be Mine
- Start date – Wednesday, January 12, 2022
- Chelsi Stratton hosts a quilt along the Be Mine Quilt – CSD125.
- Canvas – Chunky Quarter Pack of Sincerely yours from Chery and Chelsea.
- Hosted by Chelsi Stratton -chelsistratton on the IG and Chelsi Stratton Blog.
January to December – life has a sense of mystery
- Start date – January 6, 2022
- Sherri McConnell is back with another puzzle block of the month. New blocks are released on the first Thursday of every month with a free PDF download on her blog. A video tutorial with unpacking tips for each block video is shared on her YouTube channel. While Sherri blocks are made from Sherri & Chelsi design fabrics, there is no distinct set. (The quilt illustrated is a 2021 Boom Mystery.)
- Hosted by Sherri McConnell – https://www.aquiltinglife.com.
February through August – Cotton & Joy Mystery BOM
- Start date – January 7, 2022.
- Corey Yoder of Coriander Quilts shares Cotton & Joy, her 6-month Mystery Block set that includes her Beautiful Day collection.
- Fabric Requirements – 1 FQ Bundle Good Day. (Moda package includes beautiful Today’s Panel – which is required to complete the quilt.) Exact fabric requirements will be shared on Friday, January 7, 2022.
- Sewing will begin in late February or early March, after the fabric and pre-sales have arrived in stores.
- Hosted by Cory Yoder – https://corianderquilts.com and https://corianderquilts.com/cotton-joy-mystery-bom/
February through December – Classic Bella
- Start date – February 4, 2022
- Two-tone duvets are truly a classic. Whether the designs are simple or intricate, they are among the most collected antique quilts. To add these classics to our collections, we’ve created six comforters to match every color group. While we share a variety of color options, this is a perfect way to start your own Red & White or Blue & White quilt set.
- The first pattern will be shared in the Inspiration Resource Center + on Friday.
- Hosted by Moda Fabrics.
March to September – Block Heads 4
- Start date – Wednesday, March 23, 2022
- Moda block heads are back – bigger and better than ever! We’ve invited some new faces to join the group, so now there are more than twenty designers from Moda.
- This is a mystery quilt, and there is no distinct set.
- Blocks finish at 9″, with 4″ blocks optional. Multiple setting options will be provided.
- Hosted by Moda.
From June to December – Meet me in the garden
- Start date – June 2022
- Six-month quilt with monthly educational videos by Val Krueger on deconstructing a 104″ x 104″ medallion quilt made from Primitive Gatherings Garden Gatherings and Garden Gatherings sets.
- Form Required – Meet Me In The Garden style information coming soon.
- Fabric Requirements – 1 FQ Bundle of Garden Pools + 1 FQ Bundle of Garden Pools T-shirts + 1 Cake Layer of Garden Pools T-shirts
- Hosted by Lisa Bongean and Val Krueger.
Do any of these interest you?
I’m most excited about the tree’s branching block, and Bella’s classics. My tree blocks will be scattered, and I think I’ll make the six Bella Classics quilts using the same two colors. By December, I’ll have a set of two-color quilts. I just need to decide which two colors!
Reading – and books. food. sewing.
What else is there?
I love Neil Gaiman’s New Year messages.
January. hopefull. possibilities.
May 2022 bring you peace, hope, happiness and kindness.